So you've decided to stick to Europe but next you need to decide where to go! There are so many truly wonderful resorts this side of the Atlantic, it is almost impossible to choose just one. And the guides are so great at extolling the individual pros and cons of them all that it still doesn't really help with the decision. Even if you have managed to choose a country, you're still left with numerous resorts in each.
You ultimately need to decide what's important to you about your holiday. If you're a complete beginner you need to put that terrain at the top of your list. I love Alpe d'Huez and Les Arcs in France, both have great runs and brilliant ski schools (we love New Generation) for your first time. Don't forget about Bulgaria for beginners too, Borovets and Bansko are beginner friendly in my opinion.
If you're a boarder and need to get time in the park and off piste whenever you visit the mountain, then this is what you need to look for when researching your trip- maybe Tignes in France, or more surprisingly perhaps, St Anton in Austria, which I'm told as some awesome off piste. I can't wait to try it this year.
Or maybe you'll choose a country based on the fact that you can speak the language? I always feel so out of my depth, ignorant and generally so British when I can't speak the lingo. But given I can only speak English and French, that does limit me somewhat. Still, a bit of German, Spanish or Italian might make my trips to those countries a little more satisfying. Speaking of which, maybe I need to get some discounted language lessons on the SkiSquirrel website, a great way to prep for the trip ;-).
Many people aren't fussed on the nature of the runs, as long as there's snow. And these days, the best way to get a snow-sure holiday is to either stay high (think Val Thorens or Espace Killy) or stay somewhere where you can get high very easily like Morzine. There's a French bias here because I do love to ski in France, but I hear on good authority that Hintertux in Austria is also great, because of it's glacier. I have yet to try it myself.
Alternatively, like an increasing number, you may like to ski where the Brit's aren't. The traditional English ski destinations can just be too much, full of posh Brits and arrogant locals. Why not try the gorgeous Swiss resort of Nendaz (a good friend spent a season of bliss there last year) or Saas-Fee (another high one) or perhaps head to Italy. The gorgeous tree lined runs and beautiful Italians are a brilliant reason!
I don't think you can really go wrong when choosing your ski destination. There are so many options and the best way to decide whether you like a resort is to try it for yourself. Personally, I'm loving finding out, and there are soooo many (way too many) I haven't tried yet.
I wrote a piece for the guys at SkiPad, who put it on their blog last season, where I compared Austrian and French skiing. I am an Austrian Skiing near-virgin and following my trip to Mayrhofen last year, I'm all booked up to try St Anton next. Well, I couldn't not really could I?!? Take a look at my thoughts on Austria vs France here. I would love to know your thoughts, we're all different....
No comments:
Post a Comment